Sunday 23 January 2011

Chatter Chatter Begins

Once my open excercise was complete I made a start on preparing for my dialogue.  I had recently finished watching a new BBC crime drama Sherlock.  This twist on the classic Sherlock Holmes investigations had rich recreate of the crimes and driving character development and intereaction.  Therefore I wanted to take a snip piece of dialogue from this series.  I also wanted to do an intereaction between a male and female.  Looking at the show there were a few female characters but I wanted a female the same age, so only one I thought would be best was the police officer that hated sherlock, therefore came up with the situation of uni students living together and having a quarrel.  The situation of the male, leaving a jar of eye balls in the microwave as an experiement and the female finding them unimpressed.  Since they are living together I suppose she is sort of used to these matters but still gets annoyed with him.

Once my situation and releationship between the two was set, designing them was underway.


The Female:
I wanted a contrast between the two character so as well as being male and female, I wanted their appearance and personailty to also clash which would make the dialogue more interesting and realisting considering they are argueing.   However I was limited as the voices was already set.  So for the girl I made her a half white half african black but grew up in the UK as that is her accent.  I made her a bit of a diva and is used to things her way and also into the creative arts and jazz.

For my influences I looked at Beyonce with the colour of her skin, her big lips and rounded face. And then looked at some hair do's an d this was my fav, with big volume and nice framing of the face.


Desging Fola:

I gave her an African name that means Glory as I think she's quite a competitive person.




The Male:
With the contrast in mind I set the male as a middles class scientist and constantly bringing them to the flat where they live.  Contrast to Fola being curved and a plus size Fateen (name meaning clever) is skinny, tall and much stiffer in his movements than her.

For my influences I looked at the character Sherlock from where I got the audio from and at an artists style Phobs that have an elegant posh style to it that I wanted to apply to this character.


Designing Fateen:


No comments:

Post a Comment